Reducing single-use and takeaway items supports recommendations in the City’s Long Term Waste Management Strategy (Waste Strategy) and will help the City of Toronto become a zero waste and circular city.
Through Reducing Single-Use – one of a suite of ReduceWasteTO programs, the City wants to support and recognize businesses already taking a leadership role to eliminate the unnecessary use of single-use and takeaway items, such as:
- Single-use accessory disposable food items (i.e. eating utensils, straws, stir sticks, condiment packets, napkins, and beverage takeout trays)
- Single-use beverage cups (hot and cold)
- Single-use shopping bags (paper and plastic)
- Foam (expanded polystyrene) cups and takeout containers
- Black plastic takeout containers
- Plastic and plastic lined takeout containers and items labelled as compostable or bio-degradable.