Ground floor commercial spaces can apply to receive up to $12.5k towards exterior renovations.
The City of Toronto has released a new Commercial Façade Improvement Grant Program that will provide cost-matching for 50% of the cost of exterior renovations up to $12,500 ($25,000 total spend) the minimum grant amount is $2,500 for $5,000 worth of improvements. This program helps improve the look of businesses and enhance neighbourhood streetscapes, and additional funding is available for Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) improvements. Funding for AODA upgrades is up to a maximum of $2,500 for $5,000 worth of improvements. For multiunit commercial properties, there is $2,500 available per additional unit up to five units totalling a maximum bonus grant of $12,500.
An applicant can either be the property owner or a commercial tenant with permission from the property owner. Eligibility improvements may include, but are not limited to:
- Brick cleaning and restoration
- New doors/windows
- Outdoor decorative or security lighting
- Outdoor entrance tiling
- Installation of canopies or awnings
- Repair of cornice
- Parapets and other architectural features
- Outdoor wall mounted signs
- Exterior paintings
A minimum of three eligible improvements are required for an application
The items listed below are types of improvements that are not eligible for the Commercial Façade Improvement Grant Program:
- Roof signs or stand-alone ground mounted signs
- Painting of brick or stucco, unless the existing brick or stucco is already painted prior to submitting the application
- New stucco work
- Door and window banners
- Door and window decals
- Maintenance work to repair broken windows, remove pests or animals (birds, animals and insects) from signs or lighting fixtures, replace light bulbs and tubes from lighting fixtures, and paint touch-ups of cracking or faded façade surfaces
Applications are disqualified if:
- Any of the proposed improvements are completed or underway, before approval of the proposed improvements by the city
- The subject property received the maximum façade improvement grant in the previous ten years
- The building has a place of worship use, a public institutional use, a not-for-profit use, a residential use without street level commercial uses, and an industrial use
The application process is simple:
- Collect two estimates for the 3+ proposed façade improvements from different contractors
- Complete and submit the application form as indicated. Include high resolution photographs of the current façade or outside of the property, include sketch, marked photo and/or architectural drawing of the proposed façade, a letter from the property owner permitting the renovations to be completed, and the above noted contractor quotes.
- If approved for funding, you will enter into a formal agreement with The City of Toronto – Economic Development and Culture Division. Once the interior renovations are completed and accounted for with photos and receipts, the city will provide the grant funding to the applicant.
Applications will be accepted until May 5th, 2022, or when funds are expended, whichever comes first. Once the interior renovations are completed and accounted for with photos and receipts, the city will provide the grant funding to the applicant.
City of TorontoCommercial Façade Improvement Grant Website
City of Toronto Commercial Façade Improvement Grant Application Form